What is BOAS?
BOAS stands for Brachycephalic Obstructive Airway Syndrome.
It refers to obstruction of the airways (compared to normal nose dogs), which are due to the following reasons:
- Stenotic nares
- Long soft palates extending unnaturally into the larynx
- Swollen laryngeal saccules further occluding the windpipe
- Swollen tonsils decreasing the room for these dogs to breathe
- Thickened palates again further restricting the room for these dogs to move air
- Hypertophic intranasal turbinates and caudal aberrant turbinates
- Hypoplastic tracheas