What Outcome Can I Expect From Surgery?
When surgery is performed early (before noise worsens), the following are the generalisations:
- 90% will have a mild, moderate or marked improvement in noise, with both snoring and respiration when exercising.
- 50% will have a very marked (significant) reduction in noise.
- 10% won’t have a reduction in noise.
- 50% of owners notice a significant improvement in their dogs exercise ability, even when they felt there were no concerns prior because they were already reasonably good with their exercise. This is one of the most important points to take into consideration, which relates back to the topic “Why should I consider airway surgery?”
- Of the 10% that do not experience a reduction in noise, they will at least have a significantly reduced chance of progressive airway disease.
The above percentages of good improvement reduce slowly up to two years of age, then far more rapidly after two years of age. However if very severe problems exist at 2-10 years it is still important, almost more so, to correct problems to halt or reduce worsening concerns, even if there is far less chance of getting noise reduction and improved exercise and heat tolerance.